View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #85
0theories OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
01/03/2013 Twisties to the south.

The epic rain storm had passed and the sky had cleared up. It was time to head south once again. As I was informed, we would be riding through bandito territory. Advice to me: “Gas up in Tecoman and don't stop again until Playa Azul” (our next destination just north of Guacamayas). Okay, I thought, we'll see what happens.

Dancing bears?

The stretch south on Rt. 200 along the coast was some of the twistiest, curviest and most fun road I have ridden in my life. The only things not liking that road were my Givi side cases due to the scars they now carry from where I leaned too far (on both sides). Kinda wish I had the VFR for that road, but the KLR performed admirably.

Randy led today.

It was all fun and sun with a short stop for lunch at a restaurant with beautiful views of the coast and beach below. We had some fish (more than we wanted due to a slight language barrier with the little girl that was serving us). It was delicious, but a bit overpriced. I guess you pay for the view (and it was worth it).

Randy having lunch.

Gratuitous motorbike shot of the day.

A celebration?

And another

Aside from the phenomenal riding there is little to report for the day (no trouble with banditos [we were lucky], just nice people going about their business).

A portrait.

We eventually stumbled into Playa Azul (Blue Beach) after a long day of riding and began the tedious task of looking for a hotel. After a few stops we were approached by an older gentleman who offered us lodgings in his house for a reasonable sum. Apparently many houses along the beach rent out spare rooms to tourists who don't want to pay hotel prices or when hotels are full. I promised his son (a lifeguard who spoke good English) that I would post the location for others to find. This is what he wrote on the piece of paper (I'm not entirely sure what all of that means):

Shark (he called it)
Playa Azul Mich.
Sr. Renta Cuartos
Calie Emiliano Zapata
Ronbo Al Betula

The place is right on the beach just north of the main round-about. It was really nice with two spare rooms and space to camp in the sand. A garage across the street housed our bikes for the night. The town was still really busy with Mexican tourists (no gringos) so we wandered the streets and ate delicious street food (and beer) for dinner before turning in for the night.

Oregon to Panama RR (Guatemala actually...)
KLR Build Thread
0theories is online now   Reply With Quote