View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
RidingDonkeys
Purveyor of Awesome

Oddometer: 7,486
There are threads for days about issues with Urals. Most are really subject to the eye of the beholder. Here are some things you need to know.

Electrical issues: Virtually nonexistent. Newer Urals don't have the old "grenade" alternator, so you don't have to worry. I don't recall the last year they used that alternator, but it has been a very long time, and it seems like you are looking new anyway. Any issues with a Ural electrical system can be easily troubleshot. Everything is easy access except the battery itself.

Top speed: Yep, they are slow. I can run my Ural at 100kph all day, but not much more. With a down hill slope and a tailwind, I've been known to see 120kph. To me, this is a positive. The Ural has taught me the fun of taking things slower. I rarely ride it on the highway, and see things now that I used to miss.

Other rigs: there is always the build your own rig route. Or, you can have DMC or Claude build you one with the tug of your choice. I have a Bonneville with a cargo hack that I love. It is faster than my Ural, better handling on the roads, and has much longer maintenance intervals that my Ural. All that said, if I had to pick one to travel around the world on, I'd choose the Ural hands down. It might be slower, but it is a simpler machine, and much more capable of going places.

At the end of the day, you really just have to do an honest assessment of who you are and what you want.

Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy...