View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #19
jrsride2002 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisflatearth View Post
Upgrading the trailer is going to be way easier no matter how you look at it.

For the trailer if you swap a larger used axle entirely from a used trailer off craigslist or go to your local trailer place and get components or even a new axle.

But I would want the ability to put 1 bike on the trailer and tow it with my wifes Equinox in an emergency. So I plan to swap teh axle or get brakes in teh spring.
Yea, I know the van can pull, its just the stop I would be happier with the extra help. Also have been looking into a new complete axle with the breaks. Found a source in WI for $250 plus ship.....More dollar signs there... Still need to do proper measurements on the current axle and springs, to know what I need to fit. A small weekend task

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2wheels View Post
Good source- fast shipping

etrailer.com
Scoped it out, but just came to the realization that I would require a new axle to to add breaks. They didn't offer complete axle's.

OK, because I am looking for a new axle, the one I found is a 5200#, should I consider a heavier duty axle? My thought is if the spring AND axle are to stiff, the trailer would bounce all over the road while towing whether its empty or lightly loaded with just my buggy alone or 2(3?) bikes. Maybe go all out on an axle, and take it easy on spring rate?? So go for a 6000 or 7000 axle but get a 4500 or 5200 spring? Thoughts, please?

Thanks again dudes, still much to learn in life to learn alone,
~Junior