View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #25
syzygy9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by S H I F T Y View Post
Really interesting idea. What program are you using, the one that is visible on the unit in the tank bag?

Is tracking based off of cell phone signal, or GPS? If I wanted to use google earth with it, couldn't I just plan out a route, on my mac or pc, email it to myself, then open it up in google earth on the tablet and be off and running? Seems way easier to me than basecamp, 20 track limits, etc. etc. that I had with my 60csx that I broke in half last weekend.
Hi Shifty,

I am using OziExplorer for Android (in Beta at the moment) and use the maps Australia 1:250k topo and Hema offroad topo maps. These came with my previous ($800! dirt nap) Hema PDA (windows CE) based GPS unit which ran OziExplorer as the '4wd' part of its functionality. All maps are offline/stored locally on the tablet. The tablet has a conventional GPS receiver and uses WiFi assisted GPS (aGPS) when it has a signal to help speed up the fix. Very effective GPS unit!

Very happy with OziExplorer Android even in Beta it seems fairly reliable. I especially like the fact that you can design 'screens' so I have one set up with map at the top and whole load of stats on the bottom half of the screen (avg speed, two resettable odometers, sunrise and sunset times, compass, distances and eta to next waypoint).