View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #8396
BroncoDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,438
More help please... first off, I have 2 identical 2001 XTs. When I got them a year ago, they we re both sitting for 4 yrs. Carbs were extremely bad.got them both running well enough to ride. Biggest problem was hard starting and hiccups on road speeds. So now trying to get them to run a little better and have more power. I put 130 jet in one, removed snorkel, went for 40 mile ride. It ran a little better than it did before but not a lot better. I checked spark plug had a nice brown color so jetting should be close. So then I went to second bike....put a 130 jet in it and 42.5 idle jet..left the snorkel in....went for a 1 mile ride,....seemed to rUN good. Has the same hiccup as before and the other bike, they both also tend to idle high when you let off the throttle for a good 5 to 10 seconds. I have tried spraying the intake boots...no signs of leaks. So any help on figuring out why the idle is hanging or the hiccuping would be greatly appreciated...I'm getting frustrated so sorry for the length. The one carb was professionally cleaned so pretty sure no issues with that aspect.
BroncoDave is offline   Reply With Quote