View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #146
epicxcrider OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 645
The Divide route took us East, then South, then back West a good distance before spitting us out onto pavement just North of Kalispell. I found a general store and pulled in for a much needed rest since my leg and toe were really killing me now. Shawn helped me out and zip-stitched my fender back together while I took my boot off to see how bad my toe was and get some padding on it. It wasn't that painful, but was quite distracting and I didn't really need that.

A little rest, some limping around and cussing, and a good snack put us back on the pavement headed for Glacier National Park. I had driven right by it a few years ago on a road trip and always regretted not going. I turned up Rt. 2 and made for the park entrance.

The park was beautiful, though I found the traffic to be a bit much. As the terrain got steeper, evidence of past avalanches was clear.

Huge rocky peaks surrounded us, waterfalls flowing strong from the summer melt. It was a beautiful day, and we weren't the only ones enjoying it.

The roads sure were beautiful, some sections with barely a guardrail.

As we climbed and climbed the temperature got cooler and cooler.

At the top of the pass, there was still a bit of snow in places.

I took the chance to change the bandage / padding on my toe and keep on top of the blood blister that kept forming.

Then we three were off, headed back down towards Kalispell.

We stopped off at the bottom of the pass for a little dip in the river - glacial runoff, about as fresh as it gets. It was damn cold but I figured it would do my leg a bit of good since I didn't have any ice. That river felt so good I just sat there until I couldn't feel my feet anymore - and it sure did a world of good for my leg. Still hurt like hell but at least it wasn't so stiff.

Anyway, enough bitching about that. We saddled up and hit the grassland.

I was done with trail for the day. Just wasn't worth it at this point. We were all disappointed, I think Shawn most of all, but he understood. We made our way to a grocery store just North of Flathead Lake to pick up some food, then pounded pavement South - we'd look to camp at Holland Lake tonight.

This was beautiful country - for flatland :) - with the Rockies to the East, grassland and a smaller mountain range to the West.

I just like how this came out

We rode South at a good clip, watching the sun set over the fields.

I stopped to snap a photo of the sun finally setting.

And watch the Rockies turn pink.

Now dusk, the real trouble began.

epicxcrider screwed with this post 02-12-2013 at 03:59 PM
epicxcrider is offline   Reply With Quote