View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
crazybrit OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,545
Two losers loop Eastern Oregon

Howdy all. It's the dead of winter and luckily I'd been too busy to post this until now.

My loser buddy Remarksman and I decided we needed to go on another trip. A shorter version of last years TAT trip but hopefully no less lame nor amateurish.

Originally we were planning on spending a week riding single track near Green River but we'd not really ridden much that year and thanks to Trailtech my bikes charging system reliability was somewhat in question, so we decided to stay closer to home and go explore SE Oregon. Losers!

We'd done a weekend trip once before a few years ago, just down to Paisley. So a plan was hatched, Bend to Paisley (day 1), Paisley to Fields (day 2), explore around Fields maybe head down to McDermott NV (day 3), head upto Frenchglen (day 4), err, yeah this is getting way too complex.

Brian (remarksman) isn't much of a camper, so we were to be in hotels but Fields Station was only available the first night, so the plan quickly became Bend to Paisley (day 1), Paisley to Fields (day 2), Fields to Frenchglen (day 3), explore around Frenchglen (day 4), Frenchglen to Burns (day 5), after this unknown.

The first order of business was to find somewhere we could leave our truck. Riding from Portland would be far too hard core, plus Brian lives near the coast. Brad21 was the obvious choice, we've staged out of his place in Bend before, but it turns out he's fled the state Ok, Taco250 was another previous victim, what, he's left the state too. It must be Obama! Brad takes pity on us and hooks us up with Hanksmybuddy, plus he personally vouches for us. The fool!

Park (Hanksmybuddy) was gracious enough to offer to let us stay at his place in addition to letting us leave the truck, we got to his place Sunday night and had a nice time drinking a few brews and chatting. Fun, always nice to meet interesting new inmates.

My 07 450 before leaving, Brian would be riding his trusty DRZ400, so the same as the TAT trip:

Woke up fairly early Sunday morning. We're sleepy and when Brad vouched for us, he must have forgotten to append "for liberals" after "they're ok" so Park was unaware that we'd prefer a nice dose of DVR'd Daily Show with our coffee rather than Fox News.

Park recommended Palmer's Cafe in Bend for breakfast. We head out with Park assuring us that he's going to go get some Romney stickers to put on Brian's truck while we're gone We gas up and hit Palmer's for breakfast (good stuff) and soon we're on Ford Road (jeep trail) heading South towards Fort Rock.

Shortly after I found gas leaking out of the cap, turns out I'd lost the Acerbis gasket when I was filling up with gas in Bend, I dug out the receipt and gave them a call, they had it and would keep it until we got back. Funny thing was that the exact same thing happened to Brian the last time we took this route and he'd sourced a replacement gasket in Christmas Valley, so plan was to try that.

This time we stopped at Crack In The Ground, walked the 200 yards to take a look:

Uneventful ride down to Christmas Valley where I pick up a gasket that will work at the same tractor supply store as last time.

Restaurant we stopped at last time is closed (maybe for good?) plus we're not hungry so we fill up with gas and head South towards Fandango.

There are two Fandago tracks, the easy one with the cattle guard and the harder one. We of course take the rockier one. Both Brian and I noticed we've got a lot faster since the last time we did it. I really LOVE this trail, incredible fun, superb scenery.

Just after the right turn from easy Fandango to hard(er) Fandango:

Brian in the distance:

Middle section loses the rocks and picks up some easy sand:

Brian stopped:

We arrive at Paisley pretty early, around 4.30. Check in at the Sage Rooms, grab a beer. Later we stop for dinner at the Pioneer Saloon (Homestead restaurant is closed on Mondays). Turned out to be a good decision, new owners had just taken over, place was packed, great pizza and they even had one of those liberal-lovers IPAs on tap:

Todays route:

Tomorrow the plan is to get to Fields in the SE corner of the state via Hart Mountain hot springs, stay tuned.
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote