View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 11:23 PM   #107
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmozer View Post
I'm 24, just started as an engineer at Ford after graduating college a few months ago and just bought my second bike. I picked up a used 2011 F800 GS. There are some of us younger folks around, but I would say we are few. I can only name two of my friends that ride. I have gotten plenty of shit from people saying that I'm going to get hurt or how ridiculous it is to be spending so much money on a motorcycle. I also think its a matter of how people in general spend their time. I road race a neon, mountain bike, brew beer and have tons of other hobbies, but most of my friends just watch the boob tube and get drunk on the weekends. I spend lots of money on my hobbies compared to other people, but I don't spend hardly anything on going out or buying nice things like clothes and electronics. When everyone feels they need the latest and greatest trends and spend $250 a month on cable, internet and a cell phone, expendable cash gets low. I guess its all priorities.

AJ gets it. None of my stepkids' friends work, they're in their 20s, live at home, their parents pay their car payments, insurance payments, cell phone, food, everything else, and they are "students", but for sure they all have a "medical marijuana" card. You know, bad backs, glaucoma, stress, chemotherapy for their cancers, the usual bullshit. Even my stepkid finally copped to having one. We threw him out last year, at 22 years old, after about 7 years of not moving 1 step forward with his life. Not 1 step. Basically stopped going to school after about 9th or 10th grade. Started smoking dope at about 14. I'd get home from work at 3 in the morning, and his bedroom light would go off when he heard my bike, then he'd sleep until 2 or 3 in the afternoon, and snivel that he couldn't find a job. As it is, he's got a real drinking issues manifesting itself, almost everything he does revolves around getting drunk going to bars, almost getting arrested, almost or actually getting into fights at bars, etc., etc. My wife turns a blind eye to it though, but I see it clearly.

As far as that $250 a month internet/cell phone/cable bill, as long as they are paying for it themselves, not leeching off their parents or grandparents, whatever floats their boat.

And AJ, it isn't that you choose to ride or whatever and they don't, it's the fact that you are doing what you want to do, when you want to do it. A great number of people, young and old, are just barely getting by, a lot let their drinking/drugging/whatever activities take over their lives and never get with the program. I used to be that way with dope. Not any more, I'm making up for lost time now.

A little bit off track from the motorcycle industry dying. As long as there are people like me around (2 or 3 or 4 bikes a year, on average, used, and maybe a new one every 3 or 4 years), it'll be fine.

corndog67 screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 11:32 PM
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote