View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 06:18 AM   #1789
J-P
headbanging adventurer

Oddometer: 152
I`ve been riding the VFR1200X DCT since early september. Having ridden ST1100/1300, switching to R1100-R1200GSA and back to R1150GS i can only say that the crosstourer kicks the butt of all GSses I have owned, on the tarmac. On paper it`s heavier than it`s competition but once you let the wheels spin the weight seems to disappear. Even walking the bike into the garage seems easier. I`ve done 16K kms (10K mls) with it now and it was effortless, a breeze. Smooth engine, the DCT is quite amazing too. It`s not your average automatic gearbox, it works like any other normal gearbox, only no clutch handle and no gearshifter at the LHS. The 2 switches to go up and down the gears work like a charm when riding on manual, which I rarely find myself doing. I mostly ride in S(port) setting and use the "-"switch to downshift when approaching corners or roundabouts. You can ride without using your brakes, simply downshifting makes the engine braking sufficiently.

Now, it`s less of a dual sports bike than the GS, going of the tarmac it`s just less suitable, but very few people take their heavy dual sports off the road anyway.. The USD front suspension is hardly protected and one serious off road ride proved painful to my front fork seals. This was solved under warranty by the dealer (who also replaced braking pads because they ware greased) and after that we placed some neoprene inner leg protectors. Other than that, you can do pretty much anything you want with it. Going off road, the boxer character is more suitable, the VFR engine is just too powerful and nervous for those conditions. But on the tarmac, it kicks ass!

Here`s mine:

`98 DR650SE
`12 VFR1200X DCT

J-P screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 01:44 AM
J-P is offline   Reply With Quote