View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #32
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 990
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
I'll have to put in another plug for the Wee-Strom. Low maintenance, all day comfortable, good mpg, and even a lot of fun in the twisties. The best jack of all trades, do it all bike out there for the money.

I am on my 2nd one, the 07 was great but the 12 is even sweeter. Not big changes just a lot of little ones. For starters, a little more low and mid range, smoother shifting and clutch, and a little quieter engine, handles a little better, a little lighter, oh and better looking too, kind of like a new girlfriend. I averaged around 50 mpg on the old one and 55 mpg on the new one.

The NC700X would be good but not as much fun IMHO. 6K redline is too low for a bike, unless your coming from a Harley! I think if they would have raised the redline, with hp to match the Strom, and offered ABS as an option without the auto trans, they would have had a grand slam. That new Honda CB500X looks good too but I don't know much about it.

Kawasaki Versys would be another good choice more fun from what I hear but not as comfortable, nor as many luggage options. I've done 600 mile days on the Strom no problem.
The new Weestrom was top of my list at the end of 2011, but the 2012 wasn't available mid-December, so I bought the Versys. For many, ABS and slightly higher fuel economy would tip the scales toward the Vstrom. But the smaller, lighter Versys with 17" front wheel is a win a lot of the time.

I'd really want to ride an NC700X before committing to one. Some love it, some hate it. I am willing to try this bike-with-car-engine idea though.

I find the Versys really comfortable. Some people complain about the stock seat, but it works for me, and of course there are aftermarket choices and seat mods.

I thought it had about as many hard luggage options as the Vstrom. People put Givi, HB, Trax, Pelican and Seahorse boxes on them. I don't know of a hard side case option that isn't wider than the bars though, and that would be nice on a commuter.

davidji screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 08:04 PM
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote