View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 10:34 PM   #1550
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
^^ Dwayne has it right alright. Putting a bike on the rear of the trailer is a bad idea.

Figure out a way to get two on the tongue and get a weight distributing hitch. Your TV is looking tongue heavy to begin with. Too little tongue weight is potentially hazardous to your health.
Thank you very much for the input guys. However, isn't your above statement a bit contradictory Funguy? If my tow vehicle is tongue heavy, wouldn't it be a good thing to have a bit of weight on the back of the trailer? Not arguing, just wanted some clarification.

Also, there is the E2 version of this camper- which we may at some point go to. However, the Jeep is the tow vehicle du jour these days and with a class 2, technically I thought it was only to have a tongue weight of 350 lbs. The E2 (larger tray up front that can carry at least 2 bikes) would almost force getting a load leveling hitch and we do have trailer brakes set up on the Jeep, but the GVWR on the E2 is higher than the Jeep is rated to.

Here is a shot with a JK and the E2- 2 bikes up there looks like a LOT of tongue weight:

So I guess my point is that if I put a bike up front on that tray it by itself basically maxes out the tongue weight. If I put a bike on the back that is similar or lighter in weight, doesn't that just nullify the weight on the front and I'm back to like there was nothing up front?

Now I know the physics of moment arms, the pivot point of the axle as it relates the distance each load (on the front tray and rear hitch carrier) is from that pivot point, will have an impact on things, but if I take into account 2 full propane tanks and perhaps some doo dads up front in addition to a full water load (the main tank is in front of the axle), wouldn't that negate the concern?

Again, not arguing, but looking to see if I'm just going to waste money on a bad idea from the start...

longtallsally screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 10:41 PM
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote