View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 09:59 AM   #30
Evomx971 OP
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 237
WNWT Day 5

Ahh, now this is what we came down here for. 70 degrees and sunny!

Thanks to my buddy Jeff, his son Spencer and camera-shy wife Jennifer for the place to stay!!!

Wanted to walk through the Cowboy museum at the Stockyards in Ft Worth but with the great weather, just couldn't justify being inside so decided to meander my way down to Austin. Pieced together a mostly two-lane route that ended up mostly being designated as "Texas Lakes Trail". Went through a lot of cool towns with great historic town squares a lot like my hometown of Centerville, IA.

Today's menu included Granbury, neat town built along a lake. Glen Rose which is know for it's Dinosaur park that has many fossils. Big rocks along the river that runs through Glen Rose...

Eulogy, Brazos Point, Kopperl, Lakeside Village, Clifton, where I stopped for late lunch. Honest Pam, this is the first time I've had mexican all trip!

Turnersville, Gatesville, Pidcoke with a long ride alongside the Fort Hood Military Reservation, Copperas Cove, then a final run on 4 lane through the suburbs of Austin. Jumped on I-35 for a slow crawl to downtown Austin and splurged on a place I could walk to the nightlife from.

Roads were mildly entertaining today. Swoopy more than curvy. Lots of scrubby hills. Lots of ranches with crazy tall fences. Most of these are exotic animal or deer ranches. Speaking of wildlife. Started seeing lots of cactus today. First dead armadillo was actually a couple of days ago (sorry, no pic ), but saw live armadillos, a skunk, and what I sure thought looked like a porcupine playing along the road at different times today. 297 miles today.

When I came up on this, I really didn't think it was going to fit... but it did by inches.

The 6th street scene in downtown Austin was very cool. Really wished The Girlfriend was here to enjoy it with me. Reminded me of Main Street in Daytona during Bike Week. This is the historic Driskill Hotel.

Not sure what time it was, but they blocked the streets. Sidewalks were starting to get pretty busy but it doesn't really start swinging down there till pretty late.

Sampled a few establishments along the way, lots of good live music, and then got some food at The Jackalope. My pic didn't turn out so had to steal one.

Had the Chupacabra... which is a goat burger with chipolte cheese, maybe something else on there. Not sure I've had goat before. Doesn't taste like chicken. Tasted like fantastic beef. Very good burger that went well with a couple of Pacificos. Sat next to an Austin rider originally from the Chicago area currently on a Ninja 650 but recently had a Triumph Speed Triple so had good dinner conversation.

Good day of riding. Saturday is supposed to be warm, but chances of rain all day. Might try to take in the Texas State History Museum, late lunch at the Salt Lick BBQ south of town, and make my way to Fredericksburg and hole up there for a few days to do some Hill Country loops. Supposed to be pretty chilly around here for the next few days but heck, I'm from Iowa so highs in the 40's really don't feel that bad!
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote