Thread: Argentina&Chile
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Pasquali View Post
Firstly I'd like to thank "doc" from a different forum for introducing me to this site. Great stuff on here! I'm currently in Santiago Chile with a newly purchased Euromot GXT200, Love the bike for the price. I'm planning on heading over to Argentina and checking out Aconcagua before heading down route 40 to Patagonia. I've hit a slight snag and had my Credit Card lost (entirely my fault, left it at a gas station in santiago, no extra charges on it, but cancelled it as soon as I discovered it was lost). I'll have a friend bring a new one down in February for me. Until then I'm stuck with Debit and Cash. A couple questions for you more experienced bike travelers in the area:

1) When Heading into Argentina from Chile, is it better to arrive at the boarder with Argentinian Pesos, Chilean or US dollars, Ideally Id like to use chillean Pesos for the reciprocity fee but I can hit up a bank for other currencies if needed.

2) With the 8L jerry can strapped to the back of the bike I figure about a 400km range, with A LOT of padding. Route 40, is easy to find gas on the trip down?

3) I've had nothing but good experiences with the police in Chile, in Argentina from what I've read it's "different", is it advisable to carry some cash on you?

4) As cool as GPS is, I've decided not to go that route, can someone recommend a place in Santiago that sells road maps, my Spanish is unfortunately non-existent, and I've had trouble finding a good road map for Argentina and Chile.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated, if you happen to be in the Santiago area, I think I'm around for another week and am always up for a coffee or a pint!

Cheers,

E
Can't help you on the reciprocity fee, but I've heard it can be paid online.

400km should be plenty of range

I had zero police troubles in Argentina, zero police contact in fact, riding like a semi-hooligan from one end of the country to the other, but as always YMMV. I'd guess with the Dakar happening right now and the big influx of foreigners, I bet the police are under pressure from their higher-ups to be on their best behavior.

YPF gas stations have pretty good maps as well as most book stores. I bet even your 'non-existent' spanish can ask for a "mapa de carreteras"

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 10:22 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote