View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #1255
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 468
10 to 15 Foot Seas

John you have made the right decision, go by air.

Many years ago I had a Morgan 33' sailboat. The wife and three daughters and I spent 4 years sailing it from Louisiana throughout the Caribbean Islands. On our way back we hit three days of 10 to 12' foot seas and 15 to 20 knot winds. On the fourth day we made port. My wife and daughters took the dingy ashore to buy needed provisions while I stayed and cleaned the puke and vomit out of every nook and cranny.

About 5 hours latter the harbormaster came alongside towing my dingy. He had a note from my bride of 22 years telling me that she hope she hadn't max out the credit card; but she bought 4 one way airline tickets home.

The end of the note said something to the effect of go straight to hell and don't stop on the way. When I finally got the boat home they never sailed again. Sold the damn thing shortly thereafter.

To this day if I say something that sounds like sailboat or open water adventure I get treated like the cat when it shows up with a dead mouse, maybe not even that good.

Wishing you the best on your trip.
2014 Ride Report: Ring of Ireland in 30 days
One of the beautiful things about riding solo is the quality of the social experience.
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote