Thread: So Disappointed
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 PM   #39
The Savage Rabbit OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I'm leaning towards keeping the 950. i have zero experience in working on anything mechanical and the leople i know who do, know nothing about motorcycles. Presently, it sounds like the only way to be able to trust the bike is to have a shop preemptively replace the fuel pump, check the bolts on the clutch pressure plates, and replace (?) the clutch slave cylinder. Clearly, doing it myself would be ideal. But I am so clueless about working on machines that it seems impossible to do myslef. I don't even know what a clutch slave cylinder is. I accept that I may get flamed for that. My dad taught me to hunt. We never did anything mechanical. He didn't even change his own tires. I think I'm the only one in my family who has ever changed their own oil. So, paying a shop to get this 950 on the road and reliable now seems to be my only option.

Pay the money to make the 950 reliable or simplify my stable of bikes by replacing the 950 and the Softail with a 990? That's my current quandary. Which, is of course a nice problem to have. Would be nice to reduce my insurance and registration costs. I rode the Softail 400 miles to Tonopah today. Bike just isn't as fun as the 950/990 platform. It's 10 degrees here right now, by the way. Last 30 miles were on a frozen highway.

Are the new 990s generally more reliable? Seems like 90% of the known problems on the HOW pertain to the 950s. Granted, they're older. But the 990 has been around for awhile.

The Savage Rabbit screwed with this post 01-12-2013 at 10:44 PM
The Savage Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote