View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 AM   #10224
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodovitch View Post
Good morning everyone, so, while I catch up, Cyril's notes on yesterday:

After last night’s adventures Cyril Despres (KTM Redbull) received a hero’s welcome from his team when he arrived in Tucuman at the end of the marathon stage. And despite the stress and fatigue of yesterday’s late night, unassisted engine swap, he moves up to 2nd place overall 09’26 behind the leader. His team mate Ruben Faria completes the virtual podium and going into the rest day is third overall at 11’16.

Cyril Despres

“It wasn’t so easy last night. Already the decision to swap engines was a difficult, but once we made it we actually had to put the plan into action. You could see that the other riders were a little surprised when we started work! Some people say that the Dakar isn’t the same anymore, but I tell you last night was the real spirit of the Dakar. A big thank you to Marek Dabrowski and all the Orlen Team for the extremely generous ‘loan’ of their engine.

Today wasn’t so easy either. At one point we were supposed to ride in a riverbed, but we couldn’t because there was too much water in it. So instead we had to ride on the riverbank. The problem was that made the road book distances wrong. I was trying to recalibrate my trip all the time but when we came to a fork in the river I had a doubt. Finally I decided to ride back and check rather than take the risk. It cost me a little time but better lose a little time than potentially lose a lot of time.
Legend