View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 02:21 PM   #99
Velolion
Born on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 29
Luggage, etc

Hi! I've submitted my app and am hoping to make the cut for the 2013 ride. I live in the Colorado Springs area (actually, just a couple miles from Big John) and while I only moved here a year ago, I managed to get in a few thousand miles of pretty hard-core offroading on a KTM 690 Enduro R I purchased in June, much of it in the same areas you guys rode last year and that it looks like you'll be riding this year. A couple guys have inquired on luggage and there have been a couple good suggestions on that. One line of offroad-capable luggage that hasn't been suggested that I wanted to recommend is the stuff from Kriega. It's absolutely top-notch quality and has been designed specifically for this type of riding. Here's a pic of my bike loaded up with my stuff (and, no, I wouldn't do the CAM1000 with nearly this much luggage...I was heading out to a multi-day event where we were base camped, so I didn't have to ride with the luggage each day!):

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa7d2ocbapfr9sf/IMAG1664.jpg

I also have their haul loops on the front and back of my bike...great if you need to enlist the help of your buddies!

Another suggestion I'd offer is not to overpack...nobody ever wished they had a heavier bike with this kind-of riding! I've found mountaineering equipment to often be ideal for backcountry exploring on the bike...it's compact, light, and the good stuff is very durable...but it can be pretty spendy. I also often forego a tent and instead travel with a bivouac (bivvy) sack. If you're a bit claustrophobic they're not the greatest, and in that case Nemo makes a couple killer "tents" that are actually a cross between a bivvy and a tent...pack down very small and light (they don't have poles) but they still give you some room to move around in (the Gogo LE and Moto 1P are two good examples).

Last thing I'd suggest is that when riding at altitude if you've got a choice available to you fuel injection an't be beat! And in Colorado it's a necessity that you absolutely, 100%, adore rocks!

Hope to see y'all in August!

-Brian
2005 Yamaha YZ125
2003 Honda CBR600RR
Velolion is offline   Reply With Quote