Thread: DC Denizen
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #26
macaroni OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
The promise of warm weather....

The promise of warm weather was too much to resist this past Sunday so I decided to ride the route poolman described on a previous post. The weather was not as anticipated and a heavy fog stayed in the area all day.

After getting a late start, I climbed into my gear and headed north on the GW Parkway. Having picked up some tips from JaxObsessed and WayneJ, I tried my hand at motion photography. This is my first attempt and took me a bit to work up the courage. Whenever these moments of fear or doubt hit me I hear gastone's voice in my head, "Matt, don't go out like a bitch."

After a few miles on GW and the inner loop of the beltway, I turned onto River Road heading north into Maryland. I didn't take any motion shots due to heavy traffic and lack of confidence, but I did stop by Seneca Creek School house for photos and map check on my way to McKee-Besher's Wildlife Management Area.

If you have ever been on River Road you may have been surprised by the standards of living. Vast sprawling estates, gated to keep people out but just transparent enough to allow the passerby to stare with envy, are stacked side-by-side each one trying to out do the next in size and expense. As I see these places I cannot help but wonder at what sort of lives these people live.

Onwards and upwards, I say! So I spent a few miles wandering through McKee-Beshers while getting lost in the fog of my thoughts and came to the end of Sycamore Landing Road. Walked around a bit and snapped some shots along the canal and over the Potomac River.

Jumped back on the bike and headed further north on River Road. A couple of turns and River Road is hard packed gravel for a couple of miles before dropping you right at White's Ferry Crossing.

Another motion shot along River Road:

After a quick break at White's Ferry, I headed into Poolesville. Saw this lovely little gem and couldn't resist a chance to take a photo:

Couldn't tell what sort of business occupies it now but I like to think in it's former life it was a stately brick bank occupying a prominent position in the society of Poolesville before being covered in peeling plaster. Perhaps this is the fate of us all...

Getting late in the day I pointed my pig south where beer and food was calling my name.

macaroni screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 03:27 PM
macaroni is offline   Reply With Quote