View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 05:02 PM   #216
GaryAK
Easy Going

Oddometer: 211
More Anna Pics...

Anna showed up in the pouring rain - doing a great impersonation of a happy, drowned rat. Apparently, she had just dumped her bike a few houses down the street, thinking she had found us. Luckily, my neighbors helped out and pointed her to us.

After the Radian was unloaded (couldn't believe how much stuff she had!), Deb got Anna settled into her room and a hot shower, while I took a look at the chain.

The chain was super loose and within the clutches of rigor mortis - you can see where it has just started to saw across the swing arm. Props to the chain for getting you here!

Let me get this straight...a used 26 year old motorcycle brought you from Virginia to Alaska? And back? For the record - Yamaha Radians officially rock!

Made some more phone calls, and although my mechanic buddy Ronnie was laid up with a broken foot, he agreed to look at Anna's sprockets/tires and other wear items. At Ronnie's shop, he gave Anna's sprockets and tires a thumbs up to continue on the rest of her trip. He said a new chain and oil/filter change and Anna would be good to go. Side note - Ronnie officially rocks! Even with a broken foot, Ronnie wanted to meet Anna and check her bike over.

The next morning at the Anchorage Yamaha shop - Anna scored a new .530 chain. They offered to move Anna up in the cue because she was on the road and far from home, which was very gracious, but I convinced Anna that we could easily do this ourselves. So we thanked the service manager and headed back home for some tech time.

Anna is happy with her new chain. First thing we did was to count the links several times and then shortened the chain.

Could have riveted Anna's chain, but decided to use the clip master link with safety wire - this would make it easier if she needed to remove the chain/sprockets out on the road. Didn't have .032 safety wire, so I called my buddy Don and he soon showed up with the calvary (Hal) and some safety wire. For the record - Don and Hal officially rock.

With plenty of help on hand, we made short work of wrenching. After grinding the pins and pushing out a link, we connected the new chain to the old chain with the master link and threaded the new chain through the front sprocket housing.

Anna is actually a natural motorcycle 'wrench' - more than she lets on. We came out one link too long on the chain, so Anna used the tools to remove one link.

Finished - old school safetying the master link clip - .032 stainless steel safety wire - master link clip stays put, but easy to come off for maintenance.

Close up:

Once the new chain was squared away, new oil and filter.

Duke the wonder dog supervised while he made sticks into smaller sticks.

Anna did all the work herself - a natural wrench.

That filter housing barely fits between the pipes.

Some other cleaning and checking over Anna's Radian, and tech time was completed - Anna took a quick road test and reported everything was fine.

We went out to dinner and then Anna showed us some neat pics from her other trips. Then a geocaching adventure.

The next day, Anna was heading North to Denali Park - at Anna's invitation, Deb decided to ride with her as far as Wasilla.

Would have loved to have Anna stay and hang out with us for the summer - but the North country was calling her and this was good bye for now. For the record - Anna officially rocks!

Anna - you are first rate and welcome back anytime - I hope our paths cross again.

You have officially earned your ADV stickers.

We duly noticed that you have your passenger pegs down for Dan - way cool,

Hugs and Respect,

Gary & Deb

Alaska Triangle Trip

Alaska Triangle Trip Video

Denali Hwy Trip

Denali Hwy Trip Video

These Two Lanes Will Take Us Anywhere

GaryAK screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 08:47 PM
GaryAK is offline   Reply With Quote