Thread: DR350 Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #14189
visovm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Skid Plate mounting

To pick up on the discussion on page 943, I developed a slightly different attachment method for the MooseRacing skid plate I picked up through ProCycle.

I did not like the "P" mounting clamps in the back, and read about others who welded on pieces of aluminum to the rear of the skid plate to attach to the factory mounts. I dont have easy access to someone who knows how to weld aluminum, so I decided a mechanical connection could be no worse than the "P" clamps and would eliminate the bolts sticking out and getting destroyed and subsequently impossible to remove.

I have a lot of old stock aluminum, and machine hardware so that was not the issue. I used some L shaped aluminum and stainless hardware to attach the brackets to the skid plate in the proper position. This was a free mod for me since I have all the tools and materials, but I would imagine it would not be too expensive to purchase the materials if you dont have a friend who can weld it for you.

Here is the solution I came up with:

I hope this helps anyone who is considering something like this. When I have a chance to take it out and beat the heck out of it, I will report back if there are any failures.

I wish Moose and others would just weld on these tabs to use the factory mounting points. I would be willing to pay a little more for a skid plate that used all four stock mounting points.