View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #21
gofast1320
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 691
Mali

I was traveling in Mali and stopped at a real gas station with gas pumps and saw a white Toyota SUV with a very agitated and animated guy walking and pointing at his car and gesticulating wildly to some other folks that were looking at some spots on his car. I was wondering how he kept his windows so clean, they were totally transparent, wait not transparent they were gone- They had been shot out and the spots were bullet holes. Turned out he had been stopped by bandits who demanded his SUV. Seems the accepted protocol here was if stopped by bandits, comply, give them your transportation and valuables and they would let you keep what they deemed enough water and food to get you to the next stop and send you on your way less your stuff. He broke the rules because he didn't comply and took off so they lit him up. Point being I was told if you encountered bandits, play by their rules and enjoy the walk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker View Post
Brian,
forgive that I am repeating the thoughts in previous posts, but let me reinforce those ideas. Having traveled a bit all over the world, I concur that diplomatic skills and polite and respectful interaction with locals is all you need. Even language skills - while useful - are not that important: gesturing and smiling a lot will get you anywhere.

Otherwise, should anything really bad happen, your newly-acquired self-defense skills are for naught. If you read up on recent happenings in the most dangerous areas (southern tiers of North Africa), you will see that the danger is in being kidnapped for ransom by armed gangs (which is what has happened recently to Austrian and French adventurers).

No disrespect to your martial arts training, but do you really think that you will be able to stand your ground against half-a-dozen of Mali bandits, armed to their teeth with AK47's, while waving your arms in exaggerated ju-jitsu or Krav moves? Really?

So, relax, don't sweat it. Study the culture, enjoy the trip. Most if not all people you will encounter will be friendly and helpful. I actually found that being on a moto increases the friendliness/helpfulness level a lot. If you stray into Mali or Somalia anyway, count on your fate. If it bites you, no amount of martial training will help, you'll just get yourself into deeper doo-doo if you try. Stop listening to Fox News, trying to scare you of the big world. Get your news from world-wide sources that offer a global perspective, like BBC News and AL-Jazeera - so you know what and how other people think.

I still remember the unbelievable panic-stricken advice I got from family and friends when I traveled into Morocco. You'd think I was going into gates of hell, based on what they thought - while in reality I was just roaming in vacation-holiday territory of the Europeans, their version of Disneyworld.

And just like Mark Manley and atravlr, I can attest to this little peculiarity: the most dangerous event of my travels on 5 continents was in Hancock, New York.
gofast1320 is online now   Reply With Quote