View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #1932
Mr. Canoehead
Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Define "Super Modern".

If pushrod V4 based on a Corvette's engine meets that criteria, then I guess they have it...

GM's V-8 engines can reasonable be called "super modern". They are competitive in every way (power to weight, BSFC, flexibility) to other "super modern" V-8 engines (Ford, Toyota, Nissan, Chrysler). Even BMW, Audi and Mercedes have little advantage unless you look at M, RS or AMG engines and those engines cost a lot more to manufacture and service.

Interesting article link comparing the GM V8 to the AMG V-8.

I'm not a GM guy, I'm a Ford guy, but the Ford OHC V8 engines have no advantage over the GM pushrod engines and they are much harder to service and package in the vehicle. I think it is funny that pushrods are such a hot point for people. 40 years ago, the lowly pushrod was a mark of shame but not today. BMW R-bikes had pushrods up to the camhead. Guzzi has always had pushrods.

I do think it is unfortunate that Motus dropped the DI system, though - GM's new V8's do have that, along with cylinder deactivation.

"No matter how many [internet] opinions you line up, you can't vote nonsense into truth"- Kevin Cameron
Mr. Canoehead is offline   Reply With Quote