View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #86
Doogle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 500
Concerning the subframe bolts-I hope you replaced them.My top bolts failed in Chile.I replaced with 1 straight through bolt vs. the original 2 bolt system.If the 2 bolts fail,you need to drill them out.And high tensil steel is difficult drilling.I carried a spare bolt with me after my breakdown.With the single bolt,you can change it on the side of the road by yourself.I can't believe you are more than 900 pounds loaded.If you are I would be replacing these bolts.I would replace even if riding one up.Sitting in the middle of a desert broke down and nobody around is no fun-and expensive.After a few of these problems,you realize it's money well spent for prevention.

If you did not upgrade you shock spring you may have problems with your bike staying upright when it is parked.All the weight you have on it compresses the spring to it's balance point.So you either have tipsy problems when parked or you consider cutting your kick stand off an inch or so.But you really need a stiffer spring.I'm surprised Eagle Mike didn't mention this when you were at his shop.I think he also sells subframe upgraded bolts for the subframe.
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote