View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #54
Nihon Newbie OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Custom head gaskets should be here soon. Hopefully my hypothesis about the piston rings will prove to be accurate, so I can hone the bore, or maybe even switch back to the old rings, and be done with it! If I can get the motor running well again, I'm going to Plastidip the wheels and bodywork and sell it ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoulli View Post

I noticed in your photos that the rockers pivot in the valve cover. My Honda FT500 Ascot of many years ago had the same arrangement. I am not a mechanic and have no idea how common this rocker arrangement is with Honda or other engine makers, but I felt like it was problematic in my Ascot. He'll, my Ascot didn't even have your o-ring, just metal to metal. I am pretty sure all Ascots leaked from the valve cover. It is my understanding that no real valve cover gasket was used by the factory because the squish in the gasket would make tappet adjustments difficult if not impossible. This was made worse by owners, seeing the leaking valve cover, would try to tighten the cover bolts, stripping them out, so then you had fewer bolts holding the cover down. I read that Yamabond was the best for solving the valve cover leaking. Worked great for me.
Thanks for the input. I think I mentioned a few posts back that it's actually the entire crankscase that is weeping oil, because exhaust gasses are making it past the piston rings and pressurizing the cases, forcing oil out from many places. The place it was leaking the most was the valve cover, but only because it was sealed in the least effective way, with just a rubber o-ring. Again though, thanks for the info.
Nihon Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote