View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #88
Nihon Newbie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride4321 View Post
When you mentioned the bearing in the shaft it got me wondering. Could it be a bad bearing that is causing the shaft to wobble? I might have the tools to press a new bearing in at work. When I turn the shaft by hand I don't feel anything out of the norm though and that makes me think its the shaft, not the bearing. I should feel friction otherwise right?
TBH I'm just going off the service manual, and my general experience. Bearings aren't my specialty. Do you have the drive plates and other stuff taken off the transmission side of the shaft? If all that is off, I would assume that it should turn freely by hand, with little to no noise. You could always try to scrub it out with a toothbrush, not a wire brush, and some light cleaner, NOT WD-40. After that try cramming in some new waterproof grease, not too much, and see if that helps.

If you ONLY have the wheel off, as is shown in the pictures, I don't think you can access the bearing itself, and when you spin it by hand, you'll hear lots of noises, since you're spinning all the gears and whatnot in the transmission, too.

Hope that helped some...
Nihon Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote