View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #1479
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
As followup, I just got mine and while it is definitely a cheap/POS DMM, it works fairly well, is relatively small, and is very nicely protected with the cover on. So a good candidate for a bike toolkit DMM.

One gotcha. It ships with some cheap chinese AAA batteries which have a slightly shorter body and longer terminals, probably because this makes them $0.0001 cheaper to make since this reduces the size of the battery very slightly. As I usually do, I replaced them immediately with higher-quality batteries (Duracell) and the DMM wouldn't turn on. I finally traced it down to this slight variance in battery dimensions causing one of the batteries not to be able to spring-load up against a contact. A blob of solder on the contact to make it sit slightly more proud solved the problem.

- Mark
I spent a few minutes filling the back of mine with hot melt glue as well - which makes these things near indestructible and a lot less prone to moisture problems.

Yes, cheap POS, but it's still a lot more accurate than a light on/off tester and as you point out, with the cover closed, tough enough to survive on the bike. And the cheap meter you have when you need it is a lot better than the expensive one left at home.

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote