View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
It would take one or more legislators in each state to actually give a hoot about what motorcyclists want/need, and sponsor a bill, and then back it through committee, full legislature, etc.

For them, it does not serve enough of their constituents to even bother.

Here's a thought: If you're a motorcyclist, consider running for office!

...Or, join a community board, as I have. For the past two years I have been a voting member of the "Traffic & Transportation Committee" for the Community Board ("CB2") which governs the West Village in Manhattan. In my time there I have been party to creating the first new motorcycle-only parking areas in NYC in decades. I've added my voice to every proposed change in this very populated area. And rest-assured, whatever is being discussed, I am listening with an ear towards the impact for motorcyclists.

And, at the start of every meeting, I put my helmet on the table where the committee is sitting. It's subliminal, but I do it to send a message that there are motorcyclists in the community, and not just a bunch of loud-piped weekend warriors.

Fourteen years ago this very same community board tried to BAN all motorcycles from the area. You can bet your ass that would never happen if a motorcyclist were on the CB in 1997!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote