Thread: Go Sportsters
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 05:56 PM   #2061
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Because every time they get remotely close to this with a production bike the sales numbers do not meet expectations. They will generally do a 3-4 year run then discontinue it.

People in mags and on forums say how they would buy if... Then they are nowhere to be found when it is produced.
Oh, IDK...

I think that many people that say they would buy this bike would. Trouble is, we are still a very small minority when it comes to total sales figures for a company like the MoCo. While I LOVE it, it just doesn't have the mass market appeal in an industry that is steeped in "tradition" and fashion.

But, just looking at it, it doesn't appear to be something that would be too difficult to replicate.... Pick up a used Nightster, or similar... Chop off the fender struts and weld a frame loop on, add a fender, custom build a seat pan and get it upholstered, lace 17" aluminum rims to the stock hubs, longer shocks, rearsets, tank, and some misc. tidbits here and there. And judging from the angle of the lower frame rails I'd say they didn't do much, if anything to the front end other than the rim and fender. They even retained the stock brakes on this one. Be a nice winter project and I would think that a reasonable facsimile could be built for substantially less than it would sell for if the MoCo produced it.

Hmmmm.... those pics are going in my "inspiration folder" for sure!

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is online now   Reply With Quote