Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #325
AnjinSan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucHym09 View Post
Vietnam?
Great RR!
Might as well be, but this particular shot is, believe it or not, from a desert. Peruvian desert :) Here is the full story:

In the desert, passing the last days of 2012: 26-31 December
The landscape changes quickly once we are in Peru. Everything is dry around us.
But the road starts to descend rapidly following the beach line. We are looking for a place to spend the night and among all the 5 stars locations we manage to find a decent person who probably just started the business. We was probably still trying to get clients or else I cannot explain why he gave us such a good price for a bungalow by the beach. Mmmm, first night in Peru the sound of the waves puts us to sleep.
Things get serious on the second day as it is time to really meet Peru. First impressions are good and not so good. We are impressed by the landscape. It´s a desert and some might say there is nothing to speak about but I like it. You definitely get a lot of time for meditation. And my mind starts to wander along with the peaceful sound of the engine.
Phill had a functional GPS so we decided to let him go in front. This way we had someone to blame if we got lost. Ahaaa… blame the GPSof course, I was talking about the GPS.
Here are the 2 VStroms, old and new model. I might be biased but I prefer the old model.
Landscape changes even more and we are now riding through real desert. Peru is also called “The Egypt of South America”. And it doesn´t take us long to figure out why.
Depressing? Maybe. But there is something soothing about the way the dunes are aligned, shaped by wind and time. Waves of sand dancing with the waves of water.
But the wind starts blowing faster waking you up from your dream. You must keep your eyes on the road as it gets invaded by the sand from place to place.
Second picture bings us to the not so good impressions about Peru. There is garbage everywhere. Yes, I know, it´s a general problem. We´ve seen it in many countries, also in Romania. But we can never act cool about it, nor we want just to shoot the “nice frames” and ignore the rest.
Worst thing is that there is trash even in deserted area where you can see no people. And still, the traces of “civilization” are everywhere. All these might be easily avoided by a vacation photo camera but we don´t feel we are on vacation so we also add these pictures to our photo album. We are not judging, we are not in that position by any means (thinking how much work we still have to do back home in this regard) and it actually hurts to see the same sad things happening here.
I remember how angry I would get back home when seeing some smart guy throwing trash from his car. Well, you better learn how to deal with it inside of you after spending some time in Peru (and later we will see that it is the same in Bolivia). Throwing what you don´t need from your car (paper or other trash) is something common here. I wander what people think when they do this. Do they realize it is not ok to do this and don´t care about it? Or they see all the amount of trash by the side of the road and think another plastic bottle won´t make a difference?
I think I have to add something here: we are on PanAmerican highway so I want to believe that once you get away from the main highway that crosses Peru from North to South garbage presence decreases as well. And also, to be completely honest, it is actually hard to “behave nice” as there are virtually no trash cans to be found nowhere. But who knows? And then I think about the huge trash island that floats in the Pacific Ocean, all “human made”, as example of our “civilization”. Compared to that, this land is darn clean. I am seriously wondering if we will ever win this battle with waste.
The only green patches are the ones that have irrigation systems or by the side of the rivers. And there is huge contrast between green and desert.
I wanted to know more about these green oases especially since I couldn´t see any rivers and I read that irrigation water comes through large pipes all the way from the other side of the Andes. Here´s how the Amazonian basin helps bringing the desert to life.
We make another stop by the side of the ocean, in Huanchaco, a resort that seems to be very touristic. But we do manage to find a budget hostel owned by 3 friendly brothers.
Lima is not so far away from here. Another day through the desert and we are in the capital city. Nothing is out of reach of sand out here.
Here´s a view from above of the green- yellow mosaic, where man tried to intervene and cultivate something.
Otherwise, the road tries to find its way between the sand and the ocean. It´s the third day in the desert and I am still not bored. It´s something I cannot explain, the same thing that made me enjoy the endless Canadian preeries (there were different colors there, colors of the field flowers, yellow and purple). I could ride through the desert forever. Ah, I really hope I can do this!
We might be in the desert but one can never forget about basic life necessities, not even away from “civilization”…
There´s no time to wonder about the surprises of international commerce. We get to Lima and it´s December 30. Right on time to count backwards along with many other people gathered by the seaside. 3,2,1 and huraaaay we are in 2013. God help us! We would like to be healthy and wiser than 2012 and we wish you the same thing!
Happy new year, 2013!

Route map for this story:

View Larger Map
Next time we will leave the desert and its heat behind and venture into the Andes. Stay tuned!