View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 01:12 AM   #2764
stemic01
Steve Royset

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtronX View Post
Out of Krasnoyarsk we passed this old relic. A reminder of long gone and sometimes tense days.

EtronX: When I came to Krasnoyarsk and met the guys at one of the local biker clubs they had also invited a translator. This was a very nice elderly man who spoke english pretty well. He was still working a bit as a teacher. It turned out that he had been working at one of the missile plants here in Krasnoyarsk. So here I found myself meeting one of the guys who actually made these long distance rockets which we in the west feared in our younger years. He told stories about how it was to live and work here during the Soviet days. It was really fascinating to speak with this guy. I had some really amazing meetings with people here in Krasnoyarsk. The bikers were exceptional and let us stay at their club house, made a barbeque for us and use the garage for preparing the bikes for BAM! I totally agree with EtronX regarding the Russian people - it did really amaze me and I had to put aside a lot of my prejudices. What a journey!
- STRONGLY BELIEVE IN A LIFE BEFORE DEATH-
stemic01 is offline   Reply With Quote