View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 03:44 AM   #20
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
No, No, No Scott. You Canadians measure wrong, it's only about 1600 "real" miles. Easy Peazy my friend. Mrs. Samthg & I have already been to Bigfork, MT twice this year to visit my mother-in-law. Once on the RT and once this fall in our jeep. This lady is the greatest! She lived not far from us in CA, then retired 6 years ago to Bigfork. Kinda of a double edge sword. I kinda happily take Mrs. Samthg to see her mom, and I go hang out in Glacier NP. Not a bad gig, eh?

Now I need to cross that border this summer and get into your neck of the woods. Would like to experience Banff & Jasper and whatever you may suggest. I guess I'll have to start a new thread for 'Canadian suggestions'.
There's a coincidence.. we were in Bigfork twice last year, too! There is some fine riding in Montana. For that matter, there is some fine riding almost anywhere between where you are and where I am... In the last three seasons we have put 30,000 km on our Burgmans riding though BC, MT, ID, WA and eastern Oregon. There is some unbelievable riding in between. Next year we are headed to California to take a picture. I have a very old photo of my grandparents and their '68 Rambler taken at Legget, CA, inside the drive-though tree. I want a photo of us, taken at the same spot. It's as good an excuse as any for a road trip!

If you do decide to travel into Canada, post in the Regional Forums section and there will be no shortage of suggestions as to what are the best roads to ride. There are many, almost all in BC. Beware, though, that BC is considerably more expensive than the US. Last year we went to Victoria through Washington and came back through BC. On average, BC cost us an additional $60 per day for meals, gas, accommodation and taxes (two people, two bikes, one room). We knew what to expect, but it was still a rude shock. If it helps, we have been all through the area on our bikes and have our own shortlist of favourite roads.

Have fun shopping and Ride safe
Scott Fraser
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote