View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #2356
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnath9 View Post
That will be a nice looking set up.
I also want to order the HDB guards with new bars but have not figured out the right combo yet. It has been 25 years since I rode dirt bikes and am just now getting back into it with my son Noah who is 11. I got him a 2008 CRF80F and we ride mostly at a nearby OHV park with lots of single track woods and a small MX track.
I got my CRF250L late in the year and here in Nebraska its been real cold. Only have 300 miles on it so far but it looks like tomorrow I will be able to get it out for a putt. 50+ degrees maybe.
I also plan on buying the Race Tech rear shock and the FMF full exhaust with programmer. 13/45 gearing.

Do you have any suggestions as to the right type of bars for me to order ?
I like the fact that the bars from HDB come drilled.

Well, we have the Protaper KX High bars, have had that bend on 3 bikes now and it suits me (us). They are some of the tallest bars Protaper makes and HDB offers without getting into ATV bars. We want lots of rise for a comfortable standing position. The sweep and bend works well for standing and sitting, for us. It's all a matter of personal preference really, but those bars work well. Check out pro taper's site for all the info on the various models and specs, cross referencing against what HDB offers if you want pre drilled bars from them.

There's other options out there for riser/adaptor combos so you can run 1 1/8 bars, Scotts says the setup we have will work with their top clamp mounted damper so the ROX risers all I can recommend. Maybe call them with questions about other options, they are very helpful on the phone. They could probably give you the bolt pattern specs of their top clamp to help ordering the correct one from HDB, at least for the side to side, the top to bottom measurement will be determined by the ROX risers, something that ROX should be able to give you too.
I don't want to give you my clamp specs as they don't fit perfectly, coming off of a 650GS, I just made them work using what I had, but there's probably a better way to do it if buying all the parts at the same time.

Good luck, and welcome back to riding in the dirt! Probably pretty cool to be taking your son out riding.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote