View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #25
Scott_F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
You'd think I would know better at this age, but I thought shopping for a little scoot for a little traveling would be easy.

I'm . The input I'm receiving has become very, very helpful.
We have two Burgmans and a Yamaha VStar 1100 and Kawasaki 900 Vulcan and another little Yamaha Vino 125. My son has a 2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200. He likes it a lot. It goes fast enough to keep up and it surprised me at how well it rode from Kelowna to Calgary, 600 miles of mountain roads, very much fun. (I was on my V-Star.) It's a very nice scooter, very capable, but it has no storage space.

As for Aprilia = Piaggio, my experience is that it is very difficult to get parts if anything breaks. We waited fourteen months. We met a lady in a gas station who raved about her Aprila Mana (cool bike!), but she reported that it was in the shop for half the season in 2011, likewise waiting on parts. As far as we can determine, the problem lies with the North American Piaggio distributor not getting parts from Italy (or wherever they come from nowadays).

Your mileage may vary, but ask around before you fall in love with a Piaggio motorcycle. I don't have the same problems getting parts from Suzuki or Yamaha or Kawasaki. I know there are people that really like them, but I would not own another one unless I lived in Europe. I don't believe they take the North American scooter market seriously, but then who does?

Regards
Scott Fraser
Scott_F is offline   Reply With Quote