Old 01-19-2013, 05:59 AM   #165
motodavid2000 OP
MotoDavid

Oddometer: 228
Frame gusset templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfy50 View Post
DAVE,
Thank You for some inspiration on possible future project(DR650 for Baja and Central America trip). Did your welder make preformed cutouts of those subframe gussets or was it just eyeball. Asking if you/he has the forms with dimensions on them we might get a couple of photos of them when work allows.

Paul
Paul -

I suggest that you use card stock (such as on the back of a pad of paper) to make each of the gusset templates. The material is cheap, you can mark it easily with a Sharpie pen for making each template and it transfers easily to steel plate. I don't have any dimensions, but the card stock will work great for making a very exacting template for each gusset you want to fabricate.

I really like your setup with your Yamaha WR250 - super tanker fuel tank & all ! Great stuff.

I rode solo to Prudhoe in 2009 and my Ride Report to Prudhoe is in my signature line if you want to look at the routes I took. I highly recommend taking the Campbell across the Yukon Territory, rather than take the Alaska Highway north out of Watson Lake where the Signpost Forest is located. The southern terminus of the Campbell is in Watson Lake.

The Campbell was mostly dirt and gravel when I went and they are gradually paving it -- ride it while it is still partially dirt and gravel. It is a very lightly traveled and remote road - a blast to ride it solo. Take the South Canol Road out of Ross River if it is open - I did not ride the South Canol when I went as I was advised there were one or more bridges washed out when I fueled / overnighted in Ross River. The South Canol ends at Carcross and you can then go north on the Alaska Highway towards Dawson City for the D2D party.

Anyway, you will long remember the ride north - it is a great ride and let me know if I can provide any input to you on planned routes or trip prep. The Milepost is a great resource for planning this ride. I always take too much !

Dave

DR650 Adventure Bike Build: Click Here
motodavid2000 is offline   Reply With Quote