View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
SRG OP
SRG

Oddometer: 1,118
Adventurebike Suggestions.

Hey Guys,

Thought I could work this out myself, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

I'm 55, 6'-1"/200#, in OK shape, and have been riding dualsports and dirt bikes since I was a teenager.

I have the little bike/scooter ('75 CT90) and light weight dualsport ('10 Berg FX450) covered.

Even with these 2 wonderful machines, I find myself wanting a third bike. The kind of thing I'm wanting is: good on gravel, better on pavement. Not too fat (< 400#). Good for 2 up. Good for longer rides (300 mile days) and good for trips of up to a week. I'd like fuel injection and 6 speeds. Budget is $5k or so, less would be better.

Bikes I've looked at/considered:

KTM 950 Adv. - Seems best, but it's too big, faster than I need and more complex/expensive than I want. Still might be the best choice. I do like them and KTM's in general, I've had EXC's and a 640 Adv. in the past. 690 Enduro - Maybe, prolly do everything I ask except the "good 2 up" part also prolly outside budget. Too close to the Berg I already have?

Ducati Multistrada - The 1000's and up are too big and fast. I thought one of the 620 ones might work but they aren't really "good on gravel". I do like them (the 620). Elefant - Ticks all the boxes. I like it. Kind of an antique now. Hypermotard - I like the smaller ones. Not really sensible for my use.

Aprillia Caponord - Too big/fat/fast. Pegaso - no 6 speed, single cly., a bit dated. SVX 550 - really cool bike, not remotely sensible for my use.

Cagiva Gran Canyon - Getting closer, still a little fat. Cool bike though.

Buell Ulysses - "good on gravel"? not really. Seems like a fun bike but I'm not convinced I'd like it. A little large.

Kawasaki Versys - Probably a good choice, but doesn't wind me up.

Suzuki V Strom - Ditto

BMW GS - The big ones are way too fat. The small ones - meh. The old ones are antiques.

Triumph Tiger - Too big/fat/fast. Don't think any of the newer smaller ones are in budget.

Anything left that I missed? Any suggestions/comments on the ones above? Am I just full of crap and searching for something that doesn't exist?