View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #73174
BergDonk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DChief View Post
While we are talking about heads and valves and pistons, I have a question for the collective wisdom of the group. My '96 DR has 27,000 miles on it. As I was wrapping up a 3 month 8K mile ride this summer, it started smoking on start up after sitting overnight. It will smoke for a few minutes, then the smoke goes away. Blue smoke, definitely oil smoke. It only does it after sitting overnight, if I restart it after fueling or stopping for a few minutes, there's no smoke. It's not using oil that I have noticed and runs normal, not down on power at all. My thoughts are rings or valve seals. I was considering buying the high compression piston kit and new valve seals and redoing the top end anyhow before this started. Am I on the right track? Should I just leave it alone and continue to ride it and save the kit for later?

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasLeader View Post
My bike does the same thing. Doesn't burn up a noticeable amount of oil and stops smoking after a minute. It's been doing it a lot less lately too. I think the only problem I have with it is being a little embarrassed when I'm warming up my bike and spitting smoke at people walking by me.
Mine has done this randomly, +/- 1/20, only on cold starts since I got it, maybe only when the ambient temp is 10 C or below. No comsumption. I've assumed stem seals, but dunno, and don't worry about it.