View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #6347
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,706
The DR200 appeals to me because it's the last of the "old school" bikes, air cooled and carbed. I'm 53, and prefer things to be simple and easy to work on like they were when I was younger. I'm 6' tall, but like I said, I fit on the XT225 just fine. I wish they still made it, it would also definitely be worth considering. But I don't care much for the XT250, especially the new fuel injected one, and the KLX250 and WR250 are way too dirt oriented. I would be riding on pavement most of the time, and dirt roads and easy trails the rest of the time. The DR seems to be a favorite on the minimalist touring thread. I just read a ride report about a couple who rode over 6,000 miles on a couple of SYM Symbas (110cc Honda Cub clones) But I do need occasional freeway and off road capability. I also need a manual transmission for climbing. Top speed is not an issue, I like to cruise around 50 mph on level ground. I have quite a few miles on a Kawasaki Eliminator 125, and rode it in the mountains, so I know how slow it can get while climbing on a small bike, but the Zuma with a CVT just doesn't have a low enough gear range for miles and miles of serious climbing. The XT does great on those same mountains.
1980 Puch moped

JerryH screwed with this post 01-19-2013 at 04:12 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote