View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #18
phoenixdoglover
Where to next?

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
Thanks Dave.

I remember my boss in Saudi bought a new DR 800 for less than $2,000 in '98 and I was hoping new bikes would still be cheaper. I thought I could pick up a Multistrada and ship it back here. No such luck it seems.

Any suggestions?
Your options are limited in Oman, as we are basically "the end of the line".
1) Web site "dubizzle" has a section with bikes for sale in Oman. http://oman.dubizzle.com/en/items-fo...cycles/search/
2) Oman shops - slim pickings here; you will not find the full range of models and most of the dealers will not special order. You will find Harleys, a few Japanese cruisers, sport bikes, and a few dirt bikes. No dual sports. You will not find a Multistrada, Super Tenere, Triumph Explorer, BMW GS, or any other bike of that type at dealers here
3) Notice boards at Al Fair supermarkets. Sometimes motorcycles for sale. Recently, not much on the board at the market in Madinat Al Sutan Qaboos.
4) Dubai - better shops, and you can buy there and import into Oman pretty easily. I bought a MotoGuzzi Stelvio in Dubai last year, and had the dealer truck it down and take care of customs. No problems. You generally cannot ride it down because there is no such thing as a temporary import plate.

As for shipping the thing "back", I'm assuming you mean UK, Europe or ME. Bikes here are generally the EU models, so that should not be a problem. I am from the US. I cannot ship bikes back; EU models are not allowed without hugely expensive emissions tests.

Rental? Maybe the Harley shop would have something. I have seen a couple of KLR650's in the back there.

Dave
phoenixdoglover is online now   Reply With Quote