View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #232
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I get what you're saying, but bear in mind over a third of the people in the world drive on the left. Any touring bike that will be crossing multiple borders really needs a symmetric headlight IMO. One of the things I like about bikes over cars for tours is that there's no "wrong side of the road" penalty. Try driving a Right-side Drive car in a country where they drive on the right (or vice versa) and aside from really struggling to see properly at junctions, you'll have to attach ugly temporary stickers to screen off your lights to prevent blinding other driver and your headlights will tend to be less effect than a native model of the same car as a result.
A light array that puts out as much light to both sides will be blinding to oncoming drivers and unsafe, even if it is on a bike.

there are few enough countries that drive on the wrong side, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicalex View Post
Fixed that for you. Right-left shutters are available on quite a few cars sold in Europe, for exactly that reason.

I like that solution, it beats just having a shitty light or a light that blinds people, that's for sure.