View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 01:16 PM   #95
rick3foxes OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman44 View Post
Sorry but did you say what helmet camera you used. I am about to pull the trigger for a Go Pro and want to know if that is what you used.

Thanks for keeping me pumped up about my future adventure!
Yes, I used a GoPro HD Hero2 for all the riding video, and an iPhone for some of the stationary bits.
I just got a Wi-Fi BacPac for Christmas, which is awesome: with a free app, I can see the video preview before shooting, and I can change all the camera settings with a touchscreen instead of the 2-button dance on the camera.

Unfortunately, The camera + the WiFi BacPac + the extended housing is a brick when attached to a helmet.
I now have it on eBay, and will be looking at the new Hero3 with a smaller, lighter frame, and built-in WiFi.

BTW... When I left home, I had the camera mounted to the side-bar of the bike as in the first 10 seconds of the actual film. That nearly destoyed the camera with vibration.
When I realized the housing was gouging the camera, I removed the camera and left the empty housing attached to the bar. After reaching South Dakota, I looked down and found that the empty housing had broken off somewhere in the previous 6 states.

If I had left the camera in the housing, there woudn't even be a video from this trip!
I stopped in Prince George, BC and bought a new housing. That's why there is no GoPro footage from the western states on this trip.

IBA #34583
2003 Connie
"...I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep." - Frost
rick3foxes is offline   Reply With Quote