View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
windmill OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Did about 150 km in the mountains on some very familiar roads with the 120 main jets, it gets better all the time.

Ambient conditions, low 30's, foggy, dead calm.

Tiger summit (1377 ft, 7% grade for aprox 4 miles), normally a 3rd gear 55 mph wfo climb. I was able to maintain 50-55 mph in 4th, and when I down shifted to 3rd, I could maintain 60 mph at 1/4 throttle, and if I gave it more throttle it would accelerate till the valves started floating at around 65 mph.

On the freeway it will maintain 70 mph with ease, it will even maintain 75 mph on the flat, and I was able to hit 80 mph. Prior to the new intake and exhaust, anything over 70 mph required a tail wind while going down hill from Snoqualmie summit. I don't consider the increase in top end to really change how hard I will push it on the freeway, but it will be a useful "reserve power" for passing and steep grades.

45-50 mph was my normal shift point for 4th, now I find that I can up shift at 40 mph yet still accelerate to 60 mph quicker. Once on some back roads, maintaining speeds over 50 mph is much easier. coming into towns I can now hold 4th as low as 30-35 mph and accelerate back up to 55 mph by simply rolling on the throttle rather than down shifting.

Mid range roll on acceleration in 2nd and 3rd is so much better, its almost like another bike.
As expected when using a heavy throttle hand, often wfo, in the mountains, freeway, and back roads, mileage was fairly poor being around 25 mpg, but was still probably better than normal for such activities. Previous tank with 122 jets yielded almost 35 mpg in sub 50 mph commuting. An early guesstimate would indicate a 3 to 4 mile improvement in average mpg, making it about 33-34 mpg.

Pulled the filter to inspect it, after about 300 km it still looks it did when I put it in, and after wiping the inside of the filter housing with a white tissue, it came out clean. One thing I did notice, the breather hose is doing a nice job of lubricating the frame and skidplate, me thinks a "captivator" viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12108&hilit=breather will be my next project.

I am very happy with the results of this project, it has exceeded all expectations, especially since my goal was merely to increase service intervals in challenging conditions.

windmill screwed with this post 01-20-2013 at 03:11 PM
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote