The tracker is now posted on:
Please rate it and leave a comment if you like it!
A couple recent pictures:
How it began:
Last winter I picked up a second DR 650 since I like my regular ride Dual Sport DR 650 very much.
This one is the same year, 2002, but has 39,000+ miles on it.
Hard, long miles as an Alaskan rental bike from new.
It needed everything that wears replaced
Not that I knew that when I bought it...
Lots of neglect and minimal maintenance was given it.
It does run good though.
It was stored outside under a tarp, buried in the snow.
Dead battery of course, and at 10 below zero F it wouldn't start when jumped.
It was also dark. But after the 90 minute drive pulling a trailer I wasn't going to come back another day.
Great time to look at a used bike for sale, eh?
So I bought it of course, and once safely home and in a warm garage it only took a couple hours to find and fix the electrical problems that kept it from starting. Ran good and when summer finally arrived I was able to ride it a bit.
Ugh! Loose and lousy handling. Rear brake that was dragging, suspension that sagged and had no damping.
I started taking it apart to see what was up and found that every bearing in it was rusted solid or disintegrating.
The rear brake pedal was rusted and stuck. Wheel bearings trashed, brake pads trashed, and so on.
Very depressing as I bought it for friends to ride with me but once I added up the cost of all the parts to fix it I realized it wasn't worth doing. My options were to sell it "as is" for what it was really worth (not much) or part it out, but other than the engine it has no value.
And then I stumbled on the Flat track & Street Tracker forum here on ADV and the light bulb clicked.
I would build my own Sumo street bike Street Tracker!
I have wanted to build a tracker for years as a light, low, and sporty "run around town" bike that would also be great fun sliding around on dirt roads. Now I was eager to get started on my first full on custom bike build...
Let it begin:
Here it is as I bought it, complete with oil leak...
First thing was to order a new front wheel to replace the 21"
I don't care for the looks of the 17" front wheel on the Sumo (Super Motard) bikes and I wasn't sure about tire selection for 18" so I went for a 19" from Warp 9 with a 320mm Sumo brake rotor. Eventually I would like to replace the rear wheel with a 19" also but that is down the road.
I ordered new tires (& tubes), Shinko 705's as I like the looks of the tread for a tracker and they have good reviews for street and dirt road riding. I also ordered a fiberglass TT seat from Hotwings Glass as well as their tracker handlebars.
I ordered small fog lights to use as daytime running lights and a bunch of other parts including all new bearings, throttle cables, clutch cable, carb mounted choke since the choke cable was frozen with corrosion, a pod air filter, front number plate, chain and both sprockets, new front caliper, ss brake lines, new pads, front fork rebuild kit, LED turn signals, reverse cone muffler, and so on. Big money but great fun ordering and then receiving them in the mail!
First step of the build was to strip the bike of all the parts I was not going to use and wash the filthy beast.
The calcium chloride they put on the dirt roads here is next to impossible to completely remove and this bike had been ridden hard and put away wet all its life.
The next step was to lower the front end as I wanted to lower the bike at least 4".
When I had the forks apart and cleaned the sludge & slurry that used to be fork oil out, I replaced the bushings and seals and then I cut 4" off the end of the stock springs to make them stiffer and to drop the front.
I cut the top where the tighter coil spacing of the progressive rate springs are. I then placed a 4" long spacer on the damper rod to limit the upward travel.
This is the difference in length of stock and shortened:
However that is misleading because the stock forks sagged 4" under the bike weight without rider.
The forks now have 6.5" travel and 2" sag with me on it.
I also replaced the ugly fork boots with neoprene skins
Sort of a preview of coming attractions:
The next big job is fitting the glass TT seat on the subframe
Not going to fit as I expected. Options are to cut and section the frame to fit the seat or to cut it off completely and build a new subframe. That is what I wanted to do anyway so I could make it removable.
Out came the angle grinder...
Now to weld up some light steel tube (3/4" x 0.049")
Front cross tube cut and the bolt plates and frame mounts getting cut
How they will fit up:
Clamped in place for welding on the frame.
You can also see the tank tunnel I made on the frame for the fiberglass tank I am making.
Hmmmm, I forgot to show the tank form rough start for shaping....
Here it is. 2" blue foam glued together and then cut to shape and sanded, filled, shaped, sanded.....
Ok, back to the subframe
Squared up before welding the brackets on he frame
And with the tank shell and seat in place:
More to do....