View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #945
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
And here is the most detailed review that I've yet to find on the CB1100. I think it answers (at least from one reviewers perspective) quite a few of the questions that have been posted here to date.

Ash On Bikes Reviews the CB1100
Thank You for the link. It is indeed a thoughtful, informative review.

In particular, it's interesting that Honda altered the intake valve timing on cylinders 1 and 2 so that the engine mimicked the feel of the origional - I guess the early cb1100 test engines were TOO smooth!

Also of interest is that they wanted the styling to evoke memories of numerous early Hondas - not just the cb750, but the 400-4 750dohc, etc.

I saw the cb1100 at the New York Show yesterday. It was garnering quite a bit of attention from older riders, and not a few newer ones as well. But like the origional sandcast cb750 the parent company is unsure of how well it is going to be received. That has also resulted in an abbreviated catalogue of Honda factory accessories for the bike. Enthusiasm aside, they are clearly walking before running on this one.

Also, apparently it's not too difficult for them to get the engine to meet modern emission specs, as air cooled engines warm up faster than water cooled, so they spend less time and emit less emissions warming up. The oil cooling helps with emissions when it is warmed up, providing a stable cycle.

The author of the article (Ash) also answers a lot of questions from readers in the attached Forum - very informative.

M3-SRT8 screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 01:16 AM
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote