View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #15494
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssevy View Post
I sat on all of the Tiger models at the NYC show yesterday, and really liked the new green XC. The Explorer felt big and looked big and heavy, but I read that the weight disappears once you are rolling. Out of curiousity, I also sat on the Multistrada, and I must say that for me personally, it fit much better than any of the tigers. The price was on the other side of scary, but the dealer who was helping man the booth sells both Triumph and Ducati, and said having ridden all of them in length, he really likes the Ducati the best. When spring rolls around, I'll have to go test ride all of them at his shop and see how they feel to me. I really, really want to try the new Tiger Sport 1050, but the guys at the Triumph booth said no way is that bike coming stateside. The quote was "they don't want to dilute the pool of potential Tiger owners with too many choices". By the way, the new Trophy ergonomics were very comfortable, and it doesn't seem that big in real life. I think they will sell as many as they can bring in once some test rides are available.
I have an XC, of course, and have ridden both the Explorer and the Multistrada 1200.

The Explorer is an awesome bike. The weight definitely disappears once you're rolling. Terrific-handling bike, very confidence-inspiring in the twisties. Hugely fun, and yet it immediately made me feel like I could just point it at the horizon and keep going for hundreds of miles in great comfort. I've ridden an R1200GSA as well, and could definitely understand why people buy those for long-haul touring, but when I got off the Explorer, I immediately said, "When I finally do that ride to Alaska, I have GOT to budget for one of these!"

The Multi... well, I didn't like it much. The ergos were wrong, the whole thing is too cramped, and the windshield felt like it was inches in front of my face. I felt like if I braked too hard my nose would slam into its upper edge. Basically, the bike felt like it was designed for a rider 3/4 my size, which I'm sure it was. But I also have to admit, I'm just not a Ducati guy. Their bikes are beautiful (well, most of them, not including the Multi) and I want to like them, but I've just never been impressed with any of the Ducatis I've test-ridden with the exception of the Sport Classic 1000.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote