View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 AM   #4842
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
How many miles is too many for an '08 KLR? I'm looking at one with with 20,000 miles on it, includes a centerstand and highway pegs (I would be getting the centerstand anyway) that looks like it was mostly ridden on the road. It is the first one I've looked at that shows no signs of being dropped or thrashed. It is a private seller, one owner, BUT, nothing has been done to fix the doohickey or the frame bolts, or the oil burning issue. It runs and sounds good, and I could not tell that it was burning oil. Seller wants $3250. Claims it has been well maintained, and the oil was new. Sounds a bit high for 20,000 miles, but this is AZ, and bike prices are higher here than many other places.
Mileage is fine. My cousin is about to list his 08 for sale in Phx so I've been watching pricing the last month or so and asking price is about right. Be sure and check Vin# for deep hole syndrome, check and/or replace doo spring/doo, pull the rear swing arm/Prolink out and lube the bearings, go over the wire harness with fine tooth comb for rub thru's and lube that steering head bearings. You'll get many many more miles of usage!

Here's an 08 that I'm going through for a buddy...21K miles and while he's taken good care of it he didn't do the above.

Upper/lower shock mount pins...

Prolink bolt completely frozen....PIA getting it freed.

Lower Steering stem bearing/race wasted. Race removal is pain. Best way is to weld a bead onto the race itself so you can get a punch on it.

Doo spring had no tension. Often it results in the spring breaking but in his case it wore a groove into the engine case. Upgraded to eaglemike Doo and torsion spring.

His was also one of the Deep Hole models. Luckily no damage to stator cover as is common. Drop in a spacer and done...EagleMike Doo kits come with the spacer for GenII bikes just in case. www.eaglemike.com
Aprilia is offline   Reply With Quote