View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #15
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
European riding areas are so much smaller than our territory here in the USA. Manufacturers need to think more like "Africa" and "Asia". I'm sorry, but a narrow 5-speed transmission is DEAD-ON-ARRIVAL here.

The TE449-511 transmissions are the best (worst?) example of narrow motorcross racing transmissions in bikes that are mostly used for trail / enduro / dual sport riding. We know that a wide-ratio transmission can be built. When I see the TE-610 and TE-630 and WR-250R/X and even the XT-225 - which are all now years old - I just can't understand why major manufacturers continue to build narrow-ratio MX transmissions for mixed enduro / dual sport / adventure applications. Race bike, yes; these applications, no. Even when the higher-torque 650 thumpers can pull highway speeds with 5 gears, a properly spaced 6-speed is better for these applications.

Stop already and get a clue. Don't tell me that the 6th gear makes them all too narrow (e.g. fragile) in the gear box. Don't make excuses. Just build it.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Gryphon12 screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 06:09 PM
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote