View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #154
marc11
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludminger View Post
Time for us to chime in as well - 2 bros from Vermont heading out for the TAT June 1. We're riding KLRs ('09, '11), currently in the process of setting them up, collecting gear, tools, etc. Big remaining issue there is suspension. Not to get off topic, but if anyone has any recommendations on what to do, I'm all ears. I've read a lot of stuff, and its pretty unclear on what the RIGHT thing to do is. At this point, I'm thinking of replacing the front and rear springs with Race Techs with the proper spring rate (we're both around 210, 6'4", early 40s, experienced off road riders).

My other big question is around navigation. We will be purchasing the scroll charts in the next couple weeks. I've done many route sheeted rides so I'm totally comfortable following the paper, but I like having GPS as I'm expecting to deal with re-routs, wrong turns, etc. and figure that will help us to better get back on track, and I also like the redundancy. First question - what is the ideal KLR style (cheap) GPS set up? I have a Garmin Nuvi 550 which I don't think will work. Second question - with proof of purchase for the paper sheets, is there a way to obtain GPS tracks from somewhere?
You should also think about adding emulators or intimidators while you are in the forks; a fork brace will help too. What have you done to the rear shock, you may want to beef up the spring at least back there, if you want to keep the stock shock you could also add a raising link to stiffen it up a bit and gives a bit more ride height. Cheap upgrades but not near as good as a new MOAB or Ricor shock.

As for navigation, a Nuvi 550 will work perfectly, I have used it on my KLR and prior bikes, eventually I moved up to a Zumo because I wanted BT integration but the Nuvi was solid.

As for the tracks, aren't you buying them with the roll chart routes?

marc11 screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 05:42 PM
marc11 is offline   Reply With Quote