View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #11
mookybird
Gramps

Oddometer: 211
For multiday trips and local offroad riding I wear the same Fox pressure suit shown above, it's great for layering as temps change throughout the day/trip, and a heated vest with a down inner jacket liner under neath it will take you down to freezing with a decent wind/rain shell.

I also use various version of the underpants knee armor similar to what is pictured, the ywork great and provide a secure feeling that your armor will be in the right place if you come off, I have several different pairs and choose based on whether I'm at the track or dual sporting where I do a lot of walking, I find them very comfortable and easy to use for local commuting as well.

I have about 342 billion miles on a pair of Troy Lee 7705 underpants hip armor/padded riding shorts, running from real hot to all day wet and cold, these are keepers. Every now and again I step off the bike while it's still going at a pretty good clip and the part that usually hurts days later is around my seat and hips, these combined with my Klim pants provide pretty good coverage and so far I've avoided anything more than bruising and soreness.

Leatt has recently come out with a top undersuit armor setup that I intend to have a good look at this spring.

I think what gear is optimal has a lot to do with what size and weight of bike and what terrain your riding. One day with a 3/4 length ADV jacket on terrain that included carrying metal panniers up a long hill and then pushing wrestling the bike cured me of that sort of gear.
mookybird is offline   Reply With Quote