View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 02:33 AM   #74
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by _cy_ View Post
OEM changed to electronics to gain accuracy in delivery of both fuel and ignition. both necessary to pass EPA regulation. OEM in their quest for higher profits developed a strategy of planned obsolescence. for instance designs that required more and more specialized tools to service.

little things like producing bearings without grease ports. knowing that when factory grease does wear out. a major failure resulting in a forced trip to dealership. final drives are famous for taking dumps ... needing major service every 50k miles or so... VS R80 G/S monolever final drive are bathe in oil and typically last life of bike.

new BMW motorcycle are among the worst .. sure all those fancy gizmo like traction control, ABS, etc are super cool... but ah... what happens when they go down... ever priced out a new ABS control module? take a guess where that part is coming from?

you are dreaming if you think new BMW motorcyles are more reliable than my R80 G/S. this is assuming both are in same condition. for instance my R80 G/S has gone though a frame-off rebuilt ... engine balanced to 1/10 gram, tranny refreshed, new wiring harness, all bearings/seals replaced, shocks front and rear revalved, upgrade alternator, new cables, carbs refresh, etc. etc.

all it takes is one major breakdown to financially end a trip. there's many documented instances of R800GS engines taking a dump in the middle of no where.

did you know R800GS doesn't contain a knock sensor... so if/when one gets a load of bad fuel ... resulting knocking can quickly destroy engine. it's easy to miss when one is wearing helmets...most importantly most folks are not aware of this issue... BMW is certainly not going to advertise this... new BMW ... more reliable than my old R80 G/S .... ya right..

by the way ... if one's R800GS ever start running funny after a refuel... STOP .... don't proceed, take your helmet off listen to motor for knocks as motor is gently rev'd up. if you hear knocks ... drain fuel, put in clean fuel, go on your way vs knocks can destroy your engine in short order!
OK, OK, we'll agree to disagree. As for rebuilding something from the frame up, well, I don't get attached to my vehicles, I tend to get 2 or 3 or 4 bikes a year, and it's a losing proposition to put more and more money in them. I beat on them for a while, then I unload them, hopefully, for the same or close to what I paid for them. But the Ducati is the exception. I've had it for 5 years, although I'm thinking of selling it, I want a Tuono V4. I'm waiting for some used ones to start showing up, since I don't want to take the 40% hit rolling them out the showroom door.

Then again, I bought an XR75 over the weekend, I might pull it apart and get some stuff powdercoated. There seems to be a cult following on those, same with the CT-70.

Have fun on your GS. I think you might like a newer one though, they are fairly fast, and handle pretty well.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote