View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #44
porkandcorn OP
FortesFortunaAdiuvat

Oddometer: 296
mendoza, argentina to buenos aires, argentina

yesterday, i felt free. i'm not sure what impact this trip is having or supposed to be having on me. but yesterday, i felt free.

ruta 7, argentina by porkandcorn, on Flickr

from mendoza to buenos aires is a 15 hour drive. on a triumph tiger 800xc, it's a 12 hour blast at nearly 100 miles an hour (sorry mom, it had to be done). hay no policia on ruta 7, the straight-as-an-arrow shot of pavement across the continent. the roads are nearly perfect, and having felt a bit trapped out on the coast waiting to get moving, i had 'heavy wrist'. there was just enough traffic to make it fun, kicking down into 5th, 4th gears at time to tear past a semi or a slow car. i'd get waves, thumbs-up, and honks as i zipped by. not a lot of fast motorcycles in the central plains of argentina, so people would catch up to me at a gas station, want to take my picture, and talk about the bike.

blasting through the flat landscape of soy and corn fields peppered with cows, many times it felt like a homecoming for this iowa boy. there were several times where i forgot where i was, relapsing to some earlier time in my life driving from iowa city to des moines on iowa's interstate 80, coming back from visiting friends at the university of iowa... or visiting my sister heading south on I-35 to kansas city. and then i would awakened from the illusion by a strange vehicle, or come into a police checkpoint, and realize - holy shit - i'm riding across south america on my way to buenos aires!!!

people warned me that the ride would be tedious and boring, but i loved every damn inch of it. after some pink floyd (atom heart mother), and some leonard cohen (songs from a room), i put on a greg brown album (further in), which is for me the quintessential iowa album and reminds me of many things. i was brought to tears, and had to pull over to clear my eyes. i took a panorama shot on that stop. i was ear to ear smiles.

i arrived into buenos aires out-skirts just as the sun was setting. the city is huge and on the interstate to city center was about a hour. the freeway were empty for some reason, and i throttled on, getting very, very excited about riding into the famous place. the garmin zumo navigator made it stress-free and easy. i just follow the pink line on the screen while the nice british lady talks me in.

now it's morning, had a great sleep, and i'm heading out with a map to walk the city. tonight, i'm invited to a barbeque at the B&B that i'll be moving to tomorrow, and there's a half of a cow involved.
porkandcorn is offline   Reply With Quote